She ROARS

Friday, November 03, 2006

My life in the fat lane

In February of this year, Matt (my husband) told me that he wanted to lose weight. Although he originally wanted to do an Atkins plan, I convinced him that we should do Weight Watchers together. No meetings, just all online, and we would encourage each other along the way. So far this year, I've lost 50 lbs. Yup, 50 lbs. But the fact of the matter is, I could probably stand to lose another 50.

I've never been a small person. Seeing pictures of me growing up, I was always the chunky kid, pretty much after the age of 6. I'm not really too sure how that happened. We never ate fast food. But in my culture, food=love. Of course, now my dad and all of his siblings are diabetic. So there you go.

Remarkably, losing 50 lbs has actually been easier than I thought it would, although there are some days that I want to have a large steak and creamed spinach and a Caesar salad and that yummy dessert. And some days, as Emma can attest, I do. But I've completely changed my everyday eating habits. If I know I'm eating that steak, I'll balance it out with a small lunch. And while I've always been a vegetable eater, I'm less likely to saute things in butter than I was before (actually, I can't remember the last time I sauteed something in butter).

What has been scary about losing weight is that I'm moving out of the "women's sizes" and into the "misses" sizes. Why is that scary? Well, when you've spent your entire adult life as a plus sizer, you kind of feel like a charlatan shopping for clothes in the "regular" section. But I have to admit, the clothes are cheaper and the variety is larger, so I don't feel too bad about having to drop a bunch of money every few months for a new wardrobe.

My goal is to lose another 50 lbs by the June 2007. Let's see if I can do it.

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger eva said...

Thank you for posting this Laura. i have been very passive in my attempts to lose weight, telling myself that just getting healthier was all i needed and if i wasliving a relatively active life the rest would sort itself out.

and while i still agree generally with that sentiment I have found there become periods of time in my life where i can't live or eat the way i want. or stress takes over and sleep hours dwindle, and because i am relying on just 'the way i am ' to get by, i find myself really hitting a rut, and feeling way worse than i should by events.

i need to build my foundation stronger so i can weahter these times better. i want to be better with my gym efforts and also a little more serious about taking my lunch and making more food at home.

i will write more about my own weight loss ride in a seperate post. Your dedication is awesome and i have no doubt you can reach that next goal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home